Hi! My name is Astrid Fiess and I am an English to German translator and language instructor based in Birmingham, UK. German is my mother tongue but having lived in Ireland and now in the UK for years, I am truly bilingual and at home in all three cultures.
Cross-cultural communication, excellent language skills and expert subject knowledge are at the heart of a good translation as well as successful language lessons.
I am a published travel writer and very much enjoy getting to know different places and cultures. Having worked in various educational settings (university, secondary school, adult education), I understand the sector and its needs very well. Interested in all things art and culture, I am also a studio potter, amateur singer (Grade 8), a keen foodie and yogi. Gardening and horticulture are a further strong interest. I have two RHS level 2 qualifications and I regularly practise what I have learnt in my own garden and on my allotment.
Being understood in another country, be it in a business context or when you are travelling, includes knowing how to navigate local customs and conventions and having some background on the target culture. As a language teacher, I do not only use my linguistic knowledge but also my cultural expertise to enhance lessons, so that learners will be able to always strike the right note when they use what they have practised.
Regular continuing professional development is at the core of my business. I keep up to date with developments in my languages and with what is happening in my fields of specialisation, by research and reading as well as by attending courses, trade fairs and similar events.
Education and Certificates
- MA in Translation Studies – The Open University (expected 2022)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education – Aberystwyth University, UK
- Magister Artium (MA) in English Language and Literature/Celtic Studies/German – Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Germany
- Diploma in Celtic Studies – National University of Ireland, Galway
- Grade 8 Singing – Trinity College London
- RHS Level 2 Certificate in Practical Horticulture (QCF)
- RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development (QCF)
- Introduction to Permaculture – Aberystwyth University